Sep 30, 2022  
2010-2011 Undergraduate Catalog 
2010-2011 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Services and Resources

Regard for the student as a person, and provision of opportunities for participation in the co-curricular life of the university are basic commitments of East Tennessee State University. Dedicated, caring individuals strive to give the student a sense of belonging to ETSU.

Student services include an orientation program, financial aid, housing, personal counseling, and advising to help plan a program of study or choose a vocation. Student services are available to meet the special needs of minority groups, students with disabilities, and those with specific health or academic problems.

Adult, Commuter, and Transfer Services—Because we know that making a successful transition means more than getting a schedule of classes, A.C.T.S. serves as a central source of student information, referral and advocacy for ETSU’s adult, commuter, and transfer population. Adult students benefit from personalized referrals while gaining a greater awareness of university services and events. Commuting student services include easy access to campus maps, a battery pack, air  compressor, shuttle/transit schedules, off-campus housing listings, and the Carpool and RideShare programs. Transfer students receive guidance and support in making the transition from other colleges and universities to ETSU – no matter how long it’s been since they were last in school. In partnership with other university offices and academic departments, A.C.T.S. will help facilitate the smooth entry of adult, commuter, and transfer students into the ETSU graduate or undergraduate community and support their continuation toward completion of their degree.

A.C.T.S. advises the Zeta Tau Chapter of the adult student honorary, Alpha Sigma Lambda, as well as a chapter of Tau Sigma – the national honorary fro transfer students. A.C.T.S. invites both undergraduate and graduate students to join THE NET, a web-based student organization for adult students on the ETSU campus. A.C.T.S. is located on the second level of the D.P. Culp University Center in the Advisement, Resources, and Career Center. Contact A.C.T.S. at (423) 439 5641 or visit our web site at

Advisement, Resources, and Career Center—The Advisement, Resources, and Career Center (ARC) is located on the second level of the D.P. Culp University Center next to the Bookstore, phone (423) 439-8650. The ARC is open Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30

The ARC is staffed by professionals who evaluate students’ academic progress as it relates to their personal aspirations and career goals. In addition to advising  students, referrals for additional academic assistance are made when necessary. The ARC is user-friendly so that students can access advisement, career and support services without ever leaving the facility. The ARC serves as a primary resource for students who have a variety of needs including those who are entering the university for the first time, those that are unsure about an academic major or career option, and those who wish to take advantage of various academic support services to enhance their classroom learning. The ARC incorporates several academic and student support services listed below.

Medical Professions Advisement, Office of (423) 439-5602—The Office of Medical Professions Advisement provides information, academic advisement, and other support functions to students who wish to be admitted to professional schools in medically related disciplines. Among those disciplines are medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, osteopathic medicine, physician assistant, podiatry, optometry, veterinary medicine, and chiropractic medicine. Premedical professions are programs, not majors. Students are encouraged to select an academic major in addition to meeting admissions requirements for the professional school of their choice. Professional schools do not usually require or even suggest a specific major and/or minor, but most schools do  recommend that students seek a solid, broad-based, general undergraduate education with substantial exposure to the humanities and social sciences  while excelling in science and math. In addition, students are expected to participate in practical experience/ shadowing and volunteerism throughout their college experience. For more information please see our web site: or contact our office at 423-439-5602.

University Advisement Center—Undeclared (423) 439-5244— The UAC provides academic, career, and personalized counseling to those students who have not declared a specific major and/or who are taking developmental studies courses. By focusing on all aspects of student life, the UAC is able to assist each student in the accomplishment of academic success and attaining personal goals. In academics and career planning, counselors help students understand academic requirements and identify career options that affirm their academic strengths and interests. As a campus resource, counselors assist students with accessing the wide variety of campus services to meet their needs. Visit our web site at or call 423-439-5244.

Arts and Sciences in the ARC (423) 439-5671—Associate Dean and executive aide for the College of Arts and Sciences available in ARC for administrative forms needing College of Arts and Sciences dean signature. See web site for more details:

Cooperative Education and Internship Services (423) 439-5388— This office provides students the opportunity to gain valuable“work world” experience while earning academic credit. Students may co-op/intern in their chosen major or minor. Additionally, this office assists with resume development and Internet job access information. Visit our web site at

University Tutoring Services (423) 439-4758—An academic support program that offers a variety of tutoring approaches. UTS offers group and online tutoring for selected high-risk core courses. These services are free and available to all ETSU students. Visit our web site at

Peer Career Center (423) 439-8651—Located in the ARC, the Peer Career Center is a starting place for students who are uncertain about their choice of academic major or career. With the assistance of our professional staff, career interest inventories, personality inventories, and an extensive career library, we can help students identify career options that suit their personal needs. These services are free to current ETSU students. Limited services are available to potential students and ETSU alumni. Visit our web site at

Alumni Association—The ETSU Office of University Alumni is the campus contact for nearly 70,000 university graduates and former students. All of these individuals are members of the ETSU Alumni Association.

Alumni may participate in a variety of activities, such as regional chapter activities, constituent societies, special alumni programs, alumni student recruitment, reunions, Homecoming and various events that support ETSU.

Many alumni are chosen to participate in the popular “Alumni Return to the Classroom” program, which features alumni as “Professors for a Day” sharing their professional  experiences with students during Homecoming week. Alumni also participate in the “Buc Connection” career development network or support student recruitment through the Alumni Admissions Council.

ETSU’s Alumni Association, in cooperation with the ETSU Foundation, also supports scholarships for academically outstanding students. The Office of University Alumni is located on campus in room 303 of Burgin E. Dossett Hall, phone (423) 439-4218 -

America Reads Challenge—The America Reads Program hires, trains, and places federal work-study students at schools and community centers in Johnson City and its surrounding counties to provide one-on-one and small group instruction to children who read below the third-grade level. Through this outreach to the community, local children and youth receive personalized tutoring needed in order to excel in reading thus boosting their confidence, motivation and overall academic achievement. Tutors become actively engaged in the child’s learning experience, gaining valuable skills and abilities that will positively affect their own future endeavors. For more information contact 439-8587 or email Students who do not receive federal work-study funds may serve as volunteers.

Appalachian Studies and Services—The Center for Appalachian Studies and Services, a Tennessee Center of Excellence, coordinates instruction, research, and public service programs that address quality of life issues in the Appalachian region. The center encompasses the Archives of Appalachia, the B. Carroll Reece Museum, the Regional Resources Institute, and supports the minor in Appalachian Studies; the Bluegrass, Old-Time, and Country Music Program; Appalachian, Scottish, and Irish Studies Program; the Encyclopedia of Appalachia; the Governor’s School for Tennessee Heritage; and a host of other activities. The center offers internships for qualified students. The center’s administrative offices are located at 217 Roy Nicks Hall, phone (423) 439-7865, e-mail,

ARAMARK Dining Services—ETSU Dining Services provides an inviting, socially interactive community where students can take time out of their daily schedules to dine and spend quality time with friends. With a primary location in the D.P. Culp Center and various grab-and-go stops throughout campus, Dining Services meets the needs of both residential students and commuters alike. Many students take their study breaks in the Cave where they can stop by Java City and Asian Express, or they venture up to the second floor Atrium for fresh items made daily, fast food selections such as Chick-Fil-A, Quizno’s, Zoca Mexican, Grill Works, and the Buc Mart for convenience items. Those who choose to get the most from their dining experience, however, venture up to the third floor to dine in The Market Place, the main dining facility on campus. The Market Place offers an all-you-care-to-eat buffet that contains a wide variety that caters to multiple students with diverse diets. The Tree House offers multiple grab-and-go selections and features fresh sushi, which can also be purchased in the Buc Mart and C3 Express to offer students a healthier selection. Students have many meal plan options from which to choose and may also add ID BUC$ at any time throughout the semester. One plan has been designed specifically for commuting students.

Banking—The Tennessee Teachers Credit Union, located in the University Bookstore, provides full-service banking for students. There is also an ATM machine in the Culp University Center.

Bookstore—The University Bookstore is located in the middle of the D.P. Culp Center. It is open fall and spring semester Monday - Thursday 7:45 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Friday 7:45 a.m. to 5 p.m. You may reach the store by phone at (423) 439-4436 -

Busing System—The university has contracted with the Johnson City Transit System to offer a free shuttle service for students, faculty, staff, and visitors, linking parking lots on the perimeter of the campus with main academic and administrative buildings. Operation hours are scheduled during class periods as well as in conjunction with selected major campus events. Schedule, route, and other details are available at various locations on campus including the Office of Adult, Commuter and Transfer Services, middle level of the Culp University Center, phone (423) 439-5641 and the Student Affairs Office, phone (423) 439-4210. -

Career and Internship Services—Since the university realizes that the choice of a career is a complex and yet essential task, a number of services are provided, some for those choosing a career and others to assist in obtaining a job.

Consultation with the Office of Career and Internship Services staff can help by providing: (1) job placement opportunities for full-time, part-time, and summer employment; (2) field experience-based cooperative education for academic credit; (3) an occupational and employment information library for information on career opportunities including data on specific area  employers; (4) workshops and seminars on career planning, resume writing, interview techniques, and job-hunting skills; (5) computer-assisted job matching and resume design; (6) national employment trends and salary information.

The Office of Career and Internship Services is located in the ARC Center, 2nd level, D.P. Culp University Center, phone (423) 439-4450 -

Commuting Student Services—The Office of Adult, Commuter and Transfer Services provides specialized student services important to the commuting student. These services include transit information, loan of battery pack, air compressor, and off-campus housing information. In addition, students may access the RideShare and Carpool programs by contacting A.C.T.S. at its location in the Advisement, Resources, and Career Center, 2nd level, D.P. Culp University Center, phone (423) 439-5641 –

Computer Labs—ETSU provides a wide range of computer resources in support of instruction, research, administration, and public service. The  administrative systems run under an Alpha cluster. The academic systems are comprised of a number of PC servers that form a Windows NT domain. This domain enables any student and machine that have accounts on the domain to access the same software and e-mail account from multiple locations around campus.

Six labs contain 157 Dell PCs, 60 wireless Dell laptops and 24 Macintosh computers. A growing software library is available in each lab, and all computers are connected to the campus network. Software currently available in the D.P. Culp Lab, Rogers-Stout 320, and Lucille Clement labs are Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Office XP, Microsoft Visual Studio, Net 2003, Internet Explorer, Internet-based e-mail, most Adobe and Macromedia products, SAS, SPSS, and Minitab along with McAfee virus protection software. The currently available software in Warf-Pickel 419 is Photoshop, PageMaker, Quark-XPress, and Macromedia Freehand. When not in use as classrooms, computers labs are available for walk-in use by any registered student.

The computer labs are staffed by Lab Monitors (student workers) at all times. They are supervised by a central Lab Manager. Lab Monitors help users with common problems and keep the lab secure and orderly. They are not tutors.

All students are provided with Internet access and an e-mail address that will be active for the duration of their stay at ETSU. Students are able to register for classes and even pay fees online via Goldlink on ETSU’s web page.

Computer Services—ETSU provides a wide range of computer resources in support of instruction, research, administration, and public service. The administrative systems utilize a VAX 6520 under the VMS operating system. The academic mainframe is an IBM ES/ 9000 model 190 with a VM operating system and utilizing the Conversational Monitoring System (CMS). A vector processor and a number of compilers and software packages are available, including SPSS, SAS, FORTRAN, and PASCAL. Student access to the academic system in support of classroom assignments is available in the microcomputer labs.

Cooperative Education—Cooperative education provides an opportunity to earn academic credit in most disciplines for carefully planned and supervised work experience in business, industry, health, and governmental agencies. Students may take classes while in a coop placement, or alternate between semester placements. Information about the cooperative education program can be obtained through the Office of Career Placement and Internship Services located in the ARC Center, 2nd level, D.P. Culp University Center; phone (423) 439-5388.

Counseling Center—(345 D.P. Culp University Center) provides an array of counseling and mental health service to ETSU students, including personal counseling, career counseling and assessment, psycho-educational programming, psychiatric services, and consultative services, and crisis response services. Our staff is comprised of Psychologists, Licensed Professional Counselors, Licensed Marriage and Family Counselors, psychiatric residents, graduate assistants, counseling and social work interns and support staff. The Center also provides specific services through our the Campus Alcohol and Other Drug Program and OASIS (Outreach and Advocacy: Sexuality Information for Students).

We provide career services specifically targeted to undecided students and those exploring career options through the Peer Career Center, located in the Advisement, Resources, and Career (ARC) Center. Counseling services are confidential and free to all ETSU students. For more information about our services, contact our main number (423) 439-4841 or contact the Peer Career Center (423) 439-8651 -

Developmental Studies Program—(DSP) courses are designed to strengthen academic skills in math, writing, reading, and learning strategies. The Tennessee Board of Regents mandates that all institutions offer developmental studies courses.

Assessment and Placement – Valid ACT or SAT (scores less than three years old) will be used to determine whether students will be placed in DSP courses. If ACT sub scores (comparable SAT is 460) in English, Reading, and Math are less than 19, placement will be made in required DSP courses. For students 21 years of age or older who do not have valid ACT or SAT scores, the COMPASS is required. COMPASS is the computerized instrument used to determine placement into developmental classes when a student is not submitting ACT or SAT scores.

Transfer Students – are required to test the appropriate areas of COMPASS if they are transferring to ETSU without college-level Math or English. The Reading test may also be required. Students with high school unit deficiencies may also be required to take the COMPASS test.

Placement Challenge – Placement results can be challenged once by taking the COMPASS test prior to the start of classes. A $20 nonrefundable fee will be charged for challenge testing. Students who have previously enrolled in a course and failed to complete the course may not challenge Developmental Studies Program placement.

Credit Hour Computation – Credit hours earned in DSP courses are in addition to the minimum number of hours required for graduation in any degree program. Credit hours and grade points earned in these courses are used in the computation of a student’s overall grade point average (GPA), but are not computed for honors recognition or for meeting requirements for graduation.

Drop and Completion Policy – DSP courses cannot be dropped without permission from the University Advisement Center. Students must complete each DSP course in which they have been placed with a minimal grade of C.

COMPASS Testing – To schedule to take the COMPASS test, register online at (Click on Register and then Register NOW.) Students are required to bring a valid photo ID. The COMPASS test is a computerized test and is not timed.

Advisement – Academic counselors in the University Advisement Center (ARC, 2nd level of the D.P. Culp Center) provide academic advisement as well as career and personal counseling for students enrolled in DSP courses. Students who require only DSP math courses are advised in their major department.

For more information about the Developmental Studies Program, contact the University Advisement Center located in the ARC, 2nd level of the D.P. Culp Center, Box 70590, (423) 439-5244.

Disability Services—In compliance with federal regulations outlined in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, East Tennessee State University makes accommodations, course substitutions, and other academic adjustments when necessary to ensure equal access for students with disabilities. While all students with disabilities are protected from discrimination, some students may not be eligible for all of the services coordinated by Disability Services. Classroom and testing accommodations are made on an individual case-by-case basis. Students who wish may request an accommodation or academic adjustment because of a disability by completing the intake process with Disability Services self-identity.

During the intake process, Disability Services informs students of procedures surrounding the accommodation process, student responsibilities, as well as ETSU responsibilities. Eligibility for classroom and testing accommodations and other support services coordinated by Disability Services is based on the review of student’s documentation of disability. Intake applications are not complete until Disability Services has received and reviewed current documentation of disability. Individualized education plans (IEP) cannot be used as documentation; however, information included in an IEP may be helpful when identifying the services a student may utilize while at ETSU.

In order to establish eligibility, the documentation provided should follow the established guidelines and include:

Statement of diagnosis, date of most recent evaluation, and when available, date of original diagnosis by an impartial professional,
Description of diagnostic criteria and/or diagnostic tests used,
Description of the current impact of the disability in an academic environment,
Credentials of the diagnosing professional,
Documentation of physical disabilities is required but if the disability is obvious; for example, a mobility impairment, visual impairment, or hearing impairment; extensive documentation may not be needed.
Documentation of mental health-related disabilities should be no more than one year old
Documentation of attention deficit disorders should be no more than three years old, and
Documentation of learning disabilities should be no more than five years old with results based on an adult measurement scale.

The diagnosing professional must have specific training and expertise in a field related to the type of disability being diagnosed. For example, a learning disability diagnosis must be made by a psychologist, psychiatrist, or educational examiner. Documentation not including the information outlined above or from a professional whose credentials are not generally indicative of expertise in the specific disability being diagnosed cannot be used to establish eligibility for services. ETSU does not provide any type of learning disabilities evaluations; however, Disability Services maintains a list of professionals in private practice that can evaluate learning disabilities.

Disability Services is located on the third level in the D.P. Culp Center, on J. L. Seehorn, Jr. Road (v/tdd) (423) 439-8346, (tdd) (423) 439-8370 -

Early Childhood Learning and Development—The Center for Early Childhood Learning and Development operates programs to serve the needs of young children and their families. Some of these programs offer child care services for families. The Infant-Toddler programs serve children ages three months to three years in a full-year, full-day program. The Early Learning Program, Child Study Center, serves children ages three through five years of age in a full-year, full-day program. Students who are interested in enrolling their children in either of the programs can obtain more information by calling (423) 439-7555. Enrollment is on a limited basis.

A child care program, Little Buccaneers Student Child Care Center, specifically designed to meet the needs of ETSU students, opened in June 1997. ETSU students can enroll their children for blocks of time each semester that would accommodate their child care needs while attending classes and during study times. This program is supported by the Student Activities Allocation Committee and ETSU. Information for this program can be obtained by calling 439-7549.

Students majoring in early childhood education, communicative disorders, special education, nursing, social work, counseling or psychology may find it beneficial to observe in these programs. Graduate assistantships, Academic Performance Scholarships, Federal Work Study Program employment opportunities, student teaching, and practicum positions are also available.

ID Card and Campus Debit Card (ID BUC$)—All students must obtain an official East Tennessee State University ID Card in order to have full access to all university facilities and services. Your ID card not only provides student identification, but will also allow access to Sherrod Library services, door access to residence halls, CPA, computer labs, and selected classrooms. Your ID card is also used to access meal plans, obtain tickets to athletic events, and to participate in student voting.

Students may also choose to create a debit account called ID BUC$. You may use ID BUC$ in the campus bookstore, all food service locations on campus, laundry facilities in residence halls, Student Health Clinic, University Press Convenience Center, Sherrod Library fees, Bursar’s Office fees, and Coke and snack machines located all over campus. ID BUC$ are also accepted at participating off-campus merchants. You may make a deposit online, by phone, or at the Campus ID Services Office.

ID cards will be issued during new student orientations or anytime after registering for classes. Please come by the ID Services Office on the 2nd level of the D.P. Culp Center for a brochure and additional information or visit our web site, which details services and the terms and conditions.

Campus ID Services Office
Regular Office Hours:
Box 70611 Monday—8:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m.
Johnson City, TN 37614 Thursday—Friday 8:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Phone: 423-439-8316

The Center for Adult, Commuter, and Transfer Services, located in the ARC Center on the 2nd level of the Culp University Center, has a supply of most printed material available on campus. Staff members are willing to locate the information desired, if it is not already available in the office. Hours are 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. Phone 0 if on campus and (423) 439-5641 if off campus. 

Insurance—It is the responsibility of all students to provide hospitalization insurance for themselves if they desire to have coverage in the event of an illness or in case of injury while attending the university. For those students not having protection under a family insurance plan or for those who want additional coverage, ETSU has arranged for a special student insurance policy. Application forms and information pertaining to this insurance are available in the Student Health Clinic located in Nicks Hall.

International Programs and Services—The International Programs and Services Office, located on the first floor of Yoakley hall, serves the international community of visiting international students and scholars from more than 60 countries who attend or visit ETSU. Programming, advising, immigration paperwork, community outreach and the Friendship Family Program are among the many services offered by the office.  (

The office also coordinates study abroad and exchange programs such as the National Student Exchange (NSE) and the International Student Exchange Programs (ISEP), among others. (423) 439-7737.

Leadership Development—Educating future leaders is the purpose of higher education. ETSU believes all graduates will play a leadership role in their careers, families, and/or communities. Preparing for these opportunities can be accomplished by participation in service initiatives, taking Leadership courses, enrolling in the Leadership Minor, and participation in campus organizations. For more information about Leadership Development, contact Dr. Deborah Harley, Assistant Professor of Human Development and Learning, Claudius G. Clemmer College of Education,, (423) 439-7692.

Libraries—The current Sherrod Library, containing the major learning resources that support the university’s program of teaching and research, opened in 1999. The collections include one-half million volumes, over one million microforms, over 12,000 periodical subscriptions (electronic and print), more than 350,000 federal and state documents and maps, audiovisual media, and the state depository collection of K-12 state-adopted textbooks. All of the  materials in the collections can be found in the MILLENNIUM catalog, which is accessible from any Internet-connected computer. Over sixty computers (including 25 laptops) are distributed throughout this state-of-the-art, wireless building which has more than 1,800 seats. A study room open 24 hours a day is accessible with a student ID. (423) 439-5309 -

The ETSU at Kingsport Library has a collection of over 25,000 volumes and maintains subscriptions to over 100 periodicals. (423) 392-8010

The Medical Library is located in Building 4 of the Veterans Affairs Medical Center. The library has a seating capacity of 213 and houses a collection of over 96,000 books, journals, computer databases and media which support the academic, clinical, and research programs of the College of Medicine. (423) 439-6252

Museums—A campus history project initiated in the late 1920s created a repository that ultimately emerged as the B. Carroll Reece Memorial Museum. Its initial collections were made up of art and artifacts which had been collected and housed by the Department of Art and Design and Sherrod Library. The museum is a component of ETSU’s Center for Appalachian Studies and Services and has been accredited by the American Association of Museums since 1972.

Exhibits include annual quilt exhibitions, items from the permanent collections, contemporary art, and traveling displays. The museum is at the junction of Stout Drive and Gilbreath Circle on the East Tennessee State University campus. All events and admission are free to the public. Allow one hour minimum. Gallery hours are 9 a.m. until 4 p.m., Monday-Wednesday and Thursday, 9 a.m. until 7 p.m., closed holidays and the week of December 25. Phone: (423) 439-4392.

The George L. Carter Railroad Museum is located in 113 Campus Center Building on the ETSU campus in Johnson City. Devoted to the region’s historical ties to railroads, the museum is dedicated to the memory of George L. Carter who built the Clinchfield Railroad through 275 miles of mountainous terrain to carry coal from Eastern Kentucky. In 1909, when the state’s selection committee visited the area while searching for a site for a proposed teachers college, Carter offered his 120-acre farm and $100,000 toward the establishment of the school, which became ETSU. The Museum is open Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Phone: 423-439-3382.

The ETSU & General Shale Brick Natural History Museum & Visitor Center introduces visitors to the 5-million-year-old Gray Fossil Site, discovered in 2000 by TDOT highway crews. Opened to the public in August 2007, the museum offers tours of an ongoing fossil dig, interactive exhibits, and educational programs for people of all ages. The museum also features temporary traveling exhibits that change three times a year and is open daily 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. except for 3 major holidays: Christmas Day, New Year’s Day and Thanksgiving Day. ETSU students are granted ½ price admission with valid ID cards. For more information, visit or call toll-free 1-866-202-6223.

Printing and Publications—The ETSU Office of Printing and Publications is the clearinghouse for all campus printing. Located in the lower level of Sam Wilson Hall, Printing and Publications provides comprehensive graphic services for brochures, booklets, programs, newsletters, fliers, etc., at no charge to departments. In addition to business cards, letterhead, envelopes and invitations, Printing and Publications will also obtain quotes from vendors for all ETSU printing needs, large and small. For those publications requiring a Tennessee Board of Regents printing number along with proofreading, that too is handled through Printing and Publications. For more information, call (423) 439-4250.

Service Programs—ETSU’s commitment to service is evident through the campus mission statement and the numerous opportunities we provide students. Students are encouraged to expand their intellectual and social development. For more information, contact the Student Organization Resource Center at (423) 439-6633.

Student Organizations—If you are looking for ways to get involved on campus - you have come to the right spot. There are more than 150 registered student organizations on the campus of ETSU, representing the diverse interests of our student population. Students are encouraged to be involved in campus life and our office can help you make the connection. See Organizations and Activities .

Buctainment—Comprised of students, Buctainment plans major campus events such as concerts, movies, lectures, comedy shows, and Homecoming. Students can be involved with Buctainment as a member or programmer, or by attending a show as an audience member. It is a great opportunity to learn the technical, business, and marketing side of the entertainment industry. Located in the D.P. Culp University Center, lower level, phone (423) 439-6828 or e-mail

Placement Service—Placement services are provided as part of the Office of Career and Internship Services. The office processes inquiries from business, industry, school systems, hospitals, and government and social agencies. It also assembles employment materials, checks recommendations, arranges for interviews, distributes credentials, and provides other support service to complete the employment process. The Office of Career and Internship Services is located in rooms  211-213G Campus Center Building (Building 12), phone (423) 439-4441.

Public Safety—The Public Safety Building is located at the entrance of the university on University Parkway and has personnel on duty 24 hours a day for assistance. The emergency telephone number is 911. The public safety staff is composed of 21 state-certified sworn police officers who are also trained fire fighters. Public safety is a full-service police department encompassing traffic and parking enforcement, uniformed patrol, criminal investigations, and crime prevention education. Public Safety also provides these services: an escort service, engravers, booster cables, and battery booster packs. The non-emergency telephone number is (423) 439-4480. The number for the administrative offices is (423) 439-6900.

A traffic and parking regulation brochure has been prepared to inform and to protect all who use the campus roadways and parking areas. It is available in the Public Safety Building or at window #10 on the second floor of Burgin E. Dossett Hall.

Regional Centers—ETSU at Kingsport is located on 97 acres and offers day, evening and weekend classes, including lower and upper division and graduate courses. The selection is sufficient to meet most degree requirements of the university during the first two years. The phone number is 392-8000.

ETSU at Greeneville is located in the Greeneville-Greene County Center for Higher Education building, 215 North College Street in downtown Greeneville. Selected undergraduate and graduate courses are available during the day and evening through an articulation agreement between ETSU and Walters State Community College.

ETSU at Bristol closed in 2009 due to budgetary constraints. Classes are still offered at various sites in the Bristol area. Telephone: (423) 844-6300.

The Department of Allied Health Sciences, located at the Nave Center in Elizabethton, is a multidisciplinary department offering courses of study leading to a Bachelor of Science. The Bachelor of Science degree is available in Allied Health with concentrations in Allied Health Leadership, Cardiopulmonary Science, and Radiography. The telephone number is (423) 547-4900. The department offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Dental Hygiene. The telephone number is (423) 439-4497.

School of Continuing Studies and Academic Outreach—An academic service provider for the university, the School of Continuing Studies and Academic Outreach offers a variety of opportunities. The Division of Cross-Disciplinary Studies makes it possible to offer degree programs or selected courses at the work place or in local communities through Cohort Programs. The Bachelor of General Studies, Bachelor of Applied Science, Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies, and the Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies programs serve nontraditional students who need courses off-campus, in the evening, or online. The Master of Arts in Liberal  Studies and the Master of Professional Studies allow adult students to pursue interdisciplinary study in a variety of areas. A regional center in Kingsport affords students the opportunity to remain close to home and pursue a degree. Professional Development offers nationally or regionally known noncredit programs and can custom design a program for those who have a need.

Student Government Association—The Student Government Association (SGA) strives to represent the opinions of the students on every aspect of campus academic and extracurricular life. Its members work closely with students, faculty, and administration to provide advice and information and a strong voice in the governance of the university. The SGA is located near the Student Organization Resource Center (SORC) on the lower level of the D.P. Culp University Center, phone (423) 439-4253.

Student Health Services—East Tennessee State University students enjoy the benefits of a modern health care service. The Student Health Clinic is part of the College of Nursing Faculty Practice Network. Clinic Services are available to all enrolled students. The professional staff includes nurse practitioners, physicians, registered  nurses, and a health educator. Services include:

Management of acute, episodic illnesses and injuries
Referrals for assistance in managing chronic disorders
Women’s health program and assistance with family planning
Men’s health program
Allergy clinic for those receiving allergy injections
Patient education programs on a variety of topics

The Student Health Clinic is located in room 160 Nicks Hall. Please call (423) 439-4225 for further information.

The Dental Hygiene Clinic of the Department of Allied Health Sciences offers such comprehensive preventive therapeutic procedures as scaling and polishing teeth, pit and fissure sealants, nutritional counseling, periodontal therapy, patient education and exposing and developing radiographs. All treatment is performed, for a modest fee, by dental hygiene students under the supervision of the licensed dentist and dental hygiene faculty. Services are open to all students, university employees, and the general public. Appointments may be obtained by contacting the Dental Hygiene Clinic at 439-4514 in Lamb Hall, room 71 (Health Building).

The Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic, a component of the Department of Communicative Disorders, provides professional speech-language pathology and audiology services to students, faculty, and the general public. The service is provided by speech-language pathology and audiology graduate students under the direct supervision of licensed Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists. The areas of service include speech and hearing evaluation, hearing aid evaluation, and treatment of speech and hearing disorders through therapy. Intervention may be available for deficits in articulation, phonology, language, voice, and fluency. The clinic is located in Room 204 of Lamb Hall. Please call (423) 439-4355 for appointments or information.

ETSU Welcome Center

The ETSU Welcome Center is home to several office as follows:

Scholarship Office—coordinates most of the academic and need-based scholarships. The office provides information and scholarship applications for ETSU scholarships and serves as a resource for external scholarship information.

Undergraduate Student Advisement—This office is the home of ETSU’s Director of University Advisement. The office provides advisor training, coordinates the Need Help web site, and oversees the Partners in Education Program. (

Campus Tours—Walking tours are conducted at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m., Monday – Friday, September through April. Summer tours are given May through July at 1 p.m., Monday through Friday. Please call Admissions at 1-800-462-3878 or (423) 439-4213 to schedule a campus tour. For a virtual visit to ETSU, try our web site at

Roan Scholars Program—This innovative program aims to develop tomorrow’s leaders by providing a select number of exceptional students with unique, carefully designed leadership opportunities and learning experiences on the campus of ETSU and beyond. Program Office Location: Ross Hall, Room 212; Address: ETSU Box 70304 Johnson City, TN 37614; Phone: 423-439-7677; Fax: 423-439-6040. Program Director: Kristina Bullock E-mail:

University Center, D.P. Culp—The D.P. Culp University Center is a modern architecturally designed student center conveniently located in the heart of campus. The specific purpose of the Culp Center is to serve students as an integral part of their educational life. The Culp University Center provides a wide variety of services, entertainment, and social activities for the campus community.

The Culp University Center houses five separate food service areas, the bookstore, the post office, a mini-market, a computer lab, a variety of administrative offices, meeting rooms and conference facilities, a ballroom, and an auditorium/theater. For information regarding the use and reservation of these facilities, contact the Culp University Center office at (423) 439-4286.

Among the administrative offices housed within the building are the Counseling Center, Career and Internship Services, Vice President for Student Affairs, Student Support Services, Upward Bound, Food Services, Center for Adult, Commuter, and Transfer Services (ACTS), Campus ID System Offices, Advisement and Career Resources Center and the University Center.

Volunteer ETSU—Volunteer ETSU is a student-organized community service resource center that promotes, organizes, and supports a variety of public service opportunities for the campus community. It continues a long  tradition of service to the community by students, faculty, staff, and alumni of East Tennessee State University.

Named the 417th Point of Light by the Office of the President of the United States, Volunteer ETSU promotes volunteerism and coordinates the major service projects and activities for students, encouraging thoughtful experiences in service, and challenging participants to actively address the problems we face as a society.

For more information or to become involved in Volunteer ETSU or any of its numerous projects, call 439-4254 or e-mail at Volunteer ETSU is located inside the Center for Community Engagement, Learning, and Leadership, lower level of the D.P. Culp University Center.

Veterans’ Affairs—Coordinates the delivery of military-related educational benefits of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA), to eligible service members, veterans’ and certain disabled veterans’ dependents.

Primary entitlement programs administered by the Veterans’ Affairs office:

Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (MGIB-AD) Educational Assistance Program [Authority: Chapter 30, Title 38 United States Code (USC)];
Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (VR&E) Program [Authority: Chapter 31, Title 38 USC];
Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) [Authority: Chapter 1607, Title 10 USC];
Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) Educational Assistance Program [Authority: Chapter 1606, Title 10 USC];
Survivors’ & Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) Program [Authority: Chapter 35, Title 38 USC];
Veterans’ Work-Study Allowance Program [Authority: Chapters 30, 31, 35 of Title 38 & Chapters 1606 & 1607 of Title 10 USC];
Veterans’ Tuition & Fee Deferment Program [Authority: § 49-7-104 Tennessee Code Annotated (TCA)]

Information on the above federal programs, except VR&E and state programs, may be found at VR&E information can be found at

Points of Contact—The Veterans’ Affairs office on campus provides information, forms and general assistance to those applying for the above education benefit programs. Official decisions on eligibility are made by the appropriate government office and not the Veterans’ Affairs office.

Questions regarding USDVA applications/benefit payments status (except VR&E) should be directed to:

Central Region Processing Office
United States Department of Veterans Affairs
Post Office Box 66830
Secure e-mail:
Saint Louis, Missouri 63166-6830
888.GI.BILL.1 (442.4551)

VR&E beneficiaries should contact:

Christi Hellard, Counselor/Case Manager
Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment
United States Department of Veterans Affairs
412 North Cedar Bluff Road, Suite 416
Voice: 865.692.0711 Fax: 865.692.0712
Knoxville, Tennessee 37923-3605

Benefit Program Applications

Applicants for the MGIB-AD and REAP programs must provide a copy of their most recent Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty [Department of Defense (DD) Form 214]. For MGIB-AD  applicants, if claiming entitlement to the “buy-up” program, provide a copy of the election form and evidence of the increased benefit contribution. New applicants for the MGIB-SR will need to provide a copy of their Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program Notice of Basic Eligibility (DD Form 2384) available from their unit. If applying for the MGIB-AD, REAP or MGIB-SR and entitled to a college fund/”kicker” then supporting documentation should also be provided. New VR&E and DEA applicants should provide a copy of the disabled veterans’ “Disability Rating Decision.” Additionally, DEA applicants should provide a copy of their birth certificate to submit along with their application. Adoption orders and parents’ marriage license/certificate should be included if the dependent was legally adopted by the veteran. In response to a completed application, the USDVA will issue a “Certificate of Eligibility,” a copy of which should be provided to Veterans’ Affairs. If a beneficiary previously used benefits elsewhere, a change in program or place of training form must be completed.

Policies & Procedures

  1. As soon as students are enrolled for classes, they should contact Veterans’ Affairs each semester to request a certification of enrollment to the USDVA Regional Processing Office (RPO). Only required courses in the student’s officially declared academic program may be certified. RPO processing of enrollment certifications of the school can vary but generally require 45-60 days so students should plan accordingly for their personal finances.
  2. Students must keep Veterans’ Affairs informed of all change(s) in enrollment so that timely reports can be made to the USDVA RPO.
  3. Beneficiaries must attend classes and demonstrate satisfactory conduct and effort toward meeting the course requirements. Failure to maintain satisfactory attendance and conduct may result in retroactive adjustments in certified training time that will likely result in an overpayment of benefits that will be collected by the USDVA.
  4. Monthly self-verifications of enrollment can be accomplished securely online at or toll-free at 877.823.2378. Interval payments (benefit payments for the time between terms) are also automatic when a beneficiary stays continuously enrolled. Retroactive payments occur only when the RPO processes an enrollment certification for a subsequent term.
  5. A student needs only to remain in good academic standing with the institution for continued receipt of benefits.
  6. A course for which a student receives an “Incomplete” must be graded within one year or the beneficiary will be subject to a retroactive adjustment in the semester’s training time likely resulting in an overpayment and recovery of benefits.
  7. Pre-professional declarations (e.g., Pre-Med, Pre-Law, etc.) as the student’s major and/or enrolling in courses to meet prerequisites for professional study are not approved objectives currently approved by the USDVA.
  8. Military registry transcripts are required of all beneficiaries in undergraduate studies who have military service (see separate topic on how to request military registry transcripts). For credit-by-examination policy (e.g., CLEP, DSST, etc.), students should consult the “Non-Traditional Credit” pamphlet available from Undergraduate Admissions.
  9. Beneficiaries are expected to regularly consult with their academic advisor and to refer to their respective catalog of admission on academic requirements, policies and procedures. Moreover, students are expected to clearly identify their degree, major (including concentrations, emphasis, tracks, etc.) and minor, as required.
  10. All changes to a student’s academic program (except VR&E) must be reported to Veterans’ Affairs office for the completion of the appropriate forms and USDVA reporting. The academic program on file with Veterans’ Affairs must agree with what is declared with the university. VR&E beneficiaries must coordinate any changes in their academic program with their case manager who must approve a program change. Failure to report or coordinate changes of academic programs will likely result in delayed receipt of benefit payments.

Veterans Tuition & Fee Deferments

Beneficiaries who pay in-state tuition and fees, have remaining benefit entitlement, and such entitlement does not expire within the semester may request additional time in payment of tuition and fees under state law. Approval is contingent upon a beneficiary demonstrating benefits eligibility with sufficient entitlement to cover tuition and fees and no indebtedness to the USDVA. If a continuing student or one previously enrolled and utilized a veteran’s tuition and fee deferment, the student must have timely paid in full deferred tuition and fees to remain eligible for the deferment. Students who do not follow the conditions of a deferment will forfeit their eligibility for deferments in all future enrollments.

Military Registry Transcripts

New and transfer undergraduate student beneficiaries with military service must ensure an official military registry transcript is sent to Veterans’ Affairs and Undergraduate Admissions offices. University policy permits the award of academic credit only for formal military training and not skill levels attained/occupational experience. Army training with academic credit award recommendations is documented in an Army-American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS) transcript (further information available at Navy and Marine Corps training is contained in a Sailor-Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART) (for further information or to order online go to Air Force veterans must submit an official transcript from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) (for further information or to make online requests go to Students with formal Coast Guard training should submit an official copy of their Coast Guard Institute transcript, if available (request form available at All forms to request transcripts are also available in the Veterans’ Affairs office.

Veterans Work-Study Allowance Program

Veteran work-study opportunities are available locally to beneficiaries with sufficient remaining benefit entitlement and enrolled in school at least three-quarter time. Interested students should contact the Human Resources (Building 20) office at the James H. Quillen Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC) at Mountain Home. The VAMC Veterans Work-Study Coordinator may be contacted at 423.926.1171, extension 7183.

Military Mobilizations

A student may withdraw at any time during the semester for active military service and the student’s academic record will be annotated as a withdrawal for military reasons. A copy of official military orders or other official supporting documentation must be submitted for review in advance of withdrawing. Depending on the nature/authority of the call to active duty, payments under certain federal benefit programs may be kept and entitlement used during the interrupted term restored to the beneficiary’s entitlement. Tuition and fees may also be refunded under certain instances of active military duty. Students receiving financial aid should check with the Financial Aid Office for the handling of Title IV funds awarded. Students should contact any student loan lenders and inform them of their military status to avoid entering student loan repayment status and other possible adverse collection actions while serving on active duty.

Veterans’ Affairs is located in 101A Burgin E. Dossett Hall and is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays. The office can be reached at 423.439.6819 or

Housing and Residence Life 

Student housing is an integral part of ETSU campus life. On-campus living is attractive, affordable, safe, and convenient and offers many educational opportunities for students. Resident students have increased access to the library; computer labs; extracurricular activities; intercollegiate athletics; health facilities; intramural and recreation programs; other students; lectures; concerts; other campus facilities; services; and programs.

On-campus living offers many ways for residents to experience individual growth and development. Residents have the opportunity to participate in academic and leadership experiences such as: The First Year Program; Residence Hall Association; International Living-National Residence Hall Honorary; Residence Hall Judicial Board; and many residence staff positions. Residents are involved at every level of the housing process.

Residence halls/apartments are centrally located and provide an environment for living and learning. University housing includes residence halls/apartments for single students and apartments for family housing. All residence halls have rooms furnished with twin-size beds; desk; chairs; closets; mini-blinds; telephone, data, and cable TV hookup; laundry; vending; and adjacent parking. Smoking is prohibited in all campus buildings, including the residence halls and apartments. Private rooms/apartments are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Trained residence hall staff is available in each hall to assist with the total operation of the hall; enforce rules and regulations; provide programs and activities; advise, counsel and refer students; assist in emergencies; and other assigned duties. The university has adopted lifestyle options and visitation plans which are voted on by each hall at the beginning of each school year. Guests of the opposite sex may be entertained in individual rooms only during those specified visitation hours.

Family/Graduate Housing - Buccaneer Village—A limited number of apartments are available for married or single parents or single graduate students. These include one- and two-bedroom apartments for married or single parents, and a limited number of private efficiency apartments for graduate students. Applications for these apartments require a $150 deposit. Rent is payable by the semester and includes water, electricity, telephone (except for long distance calls), data access, and cable TV hookup.

Buccaneer Ridge Apartments—Sophomores and above enjoy two-and four-single occupancy bedroom apartment units. Each apartment contains a furnished living area, single bedrooms with double bed, closet, desk, and chest of drawers; kitchen facilities, including full-sized refrigerator, stove, microwave, and garbage disposal; washer and dryer; and two bathrooms. Each bedroom is provided with an alarm system; telephone, cable TV, and data jack; and individual locks.

Residents enjoy a clubhouse with copier and fax availability; lounging pool; volleyball and basketball courts; and individual leases with no connection fees.

Application Procedure—An application may be obtained by contacting the Department of Housing and Residence Life at the address below or printed from the housing web site. Early application, preferably before April 1, for fall semester and October 1 for spring semester is encouraged. Assignments for fall semester begin in April and mid-December for spring.

A completed application and a $100/$150 reservation/damage deposit is required and accepted at any time. Room/hall assignments are made according to the date of the application and deposit and availability. Oncampus students are able to retain their current room or sign for another hall and/or room each semester.

For housing costs, please see “Housing Fees ” in the section entitled “Expenses .”

The Department of Housing and Residence Life is located in room 108, Burgin E. Dossett Hall. The mailing address is:

East Tennessee State University
P.O. Box 70723
Johnson City, TN 37614-1710
Telephone (423) 439-4446
Fax: (423) 439-4690

Campus Recreation 

The Department of Campus Recreation, a unit in the Division of Student Affairs, provides a wide range of physical activities and recreational sports for the entire ETSU community. Five types of programs are offered: fitness, intramural sports, non-credit instruction, outdoor adventure, and sports clubs.

All programs operate out of the Basler Center for Physical Activity, a “state-of-the-art” indoor and outdoor complex designed for the exclusive recreational use of the ETSU student body and current employees. The “CPA” was built and operates with student fee dollars. Indoor spaces include: basketball/soccer/volleyball courts, climbing wall, group exercise/ martial arts studio, pool, racquetball/squash courts, and weight-rooms (huge weight-room). There is also a casual care service, equipment room, locker room, and personal training suite. Directly adjacent to the CPA is the Basler Challenge course with its towers, walls, and low elements. Also located beside the building are two lighted ballfields that can accommodate a range of team sports. The project’s intent will improve the connection students have to ETSU and give them a more complete collegiate experience.

Fitness programs are the most popular types of recreational activity on any college campus. The CPA boasts a 15,000-square-foot weight-room with cardiovascular stations, free weights, and weight machines. Aerobic/ group exercise classes are scheduled daily in the CPA’s aerobics/martial arts studio. There is also a personal training service with fitness testing, exercise prescription, and supervised workouts. Lap swimming will be scheduled three times daily during the week. Aqua aerobics classes are scheduled as well.

Varieties of team and individual intramural sports are scheduled each semester. Traditional fall team sports are flag football and volleyball. Spring team sports are basketball and softball. The four major leagues play four game regular seasons plus playoffs and contest Men’s A, Men’s B, Women’s, and Co-Rec divisions. Each year’s individual sports includes two road races and a golf tournament in the fall, and a bench press contest, racquetball, and tennis in the spring. Campus Recreation is also very involved in Homecoming in the fall.

Non-credit instruction classes provide ETSU students with the opportunity to learn new physical activities and recreational sports from qualified instructors. The unit has offered karate, kayaking, rock climbing, and swim lessons and intends to expand into racquet sports, SCUBA, and self-defense in the near future.

The Basler Challenge Course is the centerpiece of the university’s outdooradventure program. The course includes an Alpine Tower, Carolina Straight Wall, and 12 low elements. Campus Recreation stages leadership and team building seminars for academic departments and student groups. For more information or to schedule a seminar, call 439-4266. There are also times for individual students to challenge the tower and climb. All gear is provided. Backpacks, sleeping bags, and tents can be rented from room 230, Brooks Gym. The department stages skydiving, paintball, skiing, and whitewater rafting most years.

Student leadership and volunteerism in an athletic environment are the focus of sports clubs programs. Individual clubs promote competition, instruction, and social interaction. To learn about currently functioning clubs, or to establish a new one, contact the Campus Recreation Office.

Campus Recreation is one of ETSU’s largest employees of student labor. The unit participates in all of the university’s work programs - APS, FWSP, RSWP, and temporary support. Graduate assistant positions are also available.

Preference is given to students majoring in exercise science or sports management, but any ETSU student would find Campus Recreation to be a challenging, rewarding, user-friendly environment. Studies have indicated that students who are employed on campus persist to graduation better than those who work off campus or do not work at all. Please inquire early in the semester about possible employment opportunities.

There are two options for spouse and dependent use of the CPA. Spouse and dependent memberships may be purchased at the equipment room. Such memberships are available only to the immediate family members of currently enrolled students and currently employed faculty and staff members. Pricing was established based on the $70 student fee increase and other university fee structures and the market value of commercial fitness and recreation centers in the Tri-Cities. Dependents 17 and under must be accompanied by a parent at all times in the CPA. Memberships for dependents 18-21 may also be purchased and those adult users will be issued a picture ID. Access will not be made available to dependents 22 and over. A Saturday morning family program will be held weekly from 9 a.m. - 11 a.m. free of charge. Families will be able to use the pool, climbing wall, and gyms. There will also be instructional programs and special events scheduled on a regular basis. Children must be accompanied by their parents at all times and proper ETSU ID will be required for admission.

Participation in any type of positive activity is an important part of the collegiate experience. However, there are risks involved in any and all sports. Persons injured while participating in recreational activities are responsible for their own medical expenses. ETSU does not carry any type of blanket insurance coverage. The Department of Campus Recreation takes a wide range of precautions to protect its participants, but everyone is encouraged to purchase some type of comprehensive insurance protection.

It is the goal of the Department of Campus Recreation to provide a comprehensive service schedule of events, programs, and services for the entire ETSU community. The program is all-inclusive and previous athletic experience or skill is not a prerequisite for participation. For more information, call 439-7980 or come by the department office in the Basler Center for Physical Activity.

Intercollegiate Athletics

The university is a member of the Atlantic Sun Conference and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). Eligibility of students to participate is determined by rules established by these organizations and by the university. Teams in basketball, baseball, golf, cross country, indoor and outdoor track, tennis, volleyball, soccer, and softball represents the university in intercollegiate competition. The department also sponsors a cheerleading team. The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is located in Memorial Center, room 325W, phone 423/439-4343 or