Feb 29, 2024  
2018-2019 Gatton College of Pharmacy 
2018-2019 Gatton College of Pharmacy [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Expenses and Financial Aid

Annual Cost of Attendance

The Gatton College of Pharmacy is a privately funded partnership between the regional community at large and East Tennessee State University under which the College receives no funding from the State of Tennessee. This results in tuition rates consistent with private colleges of pharmacy.

Current tuition and fees can be found on the Gatton College of Pharmacy website at www.etsu.edu/pharmacy/administration/financial_aid/p1_budget.php.

Financial Aid

Pharmacy students are served by the College’s Financial Aid Office. The office makes every effort to assist pharmacy students in securing the financial resources. Financial aid is awarded on the basis of demonstrated need, which is the annual cost of attendance less the expected family contribution as calculated by the federal government from information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Financial aid available to student pharmacists consists of federally sponsored programs and limited scholarships. Students may only receive aid up to the cost of attendance (tuition, fees, living expenses, transportation, and personal and miscellaneous expenses). Student budgets are based on the expected educational expenses of the student; as such it is increased only under extenuating circumstances.

Students must submit a FAFSA and indicate the Gatton College of Pharmacy as the college of attendance (Federal School Code E01254) in order to apply for federal aid programs. Students eligible for the Tennessee Educational Lottery Scholarships should submit the FAFSA no later than April 1 of each year in order to ensure consideration for the lottery scholarship. The FAFSA may be completed online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.

Student pharmacists are enrolled in a qualifying health profession program. As such, all students are considered independent professional-level students are therefore eligible for higher annual and aggregate loan amounts under the Federal Direct Lending Program. The professional classification also allows students to be considered “independent” from their parents, eliminating the requirement to report parental income on the FAFSA. Professional students are ineligible for federal and state grants (e.g., the Pell Grant).

The U.S. Department of Education has the authority to select students for verification of FAFSA information. Selected students are required to complete the verification process and provide acceptable documentation to Financial Aid, as allowed under 34 CFR 668.57.

Questions regarding financial aid for student pharmacists should be directed to the Financial Aid Office, which may be reached by email (kincera@etsu.edu) or by phone (423) 439-6338 or in-person (VA Building 7, Room 216).

Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid

Federal regulations require Gatton College of Pharmacy to establish standards for monitoring whether students maintain satisfactory progress (SAP) toward their degree in order to receive aid under federal financial assistance programs authorized by Title IV of the Higher Education Act. Determination of whether a student is making satisfactory progress, be placed on probation, or be suspended for federal financial aid purposes is made by the Associate Director of Financial Aid based on specific criteria, outlined in the Student Handbook. These criteria pertain to federal financial aid only and should not be confused with the standards employed by the Academic Progression Committee (APC) to evaluate students’ continued enrollment in the Pharm.D. program.

Grants, Scholarships, and Awards

Bill Gatton College of Pharmacy continues to explore the creation of grants, scholarships and awards. The most current information is maintained by the Office of Financial Aid website.

Veterans Education Benefits

The College of Pharmacy is approved for the training of veterans and other eligible persons under education benefit programs of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA). The University Veterans’ Affairs Office, which coordinates the delivery of military-related educational benefits of the USDVA to eligible service members, veterans, and certain disabled veterans dependents, can provide information and application assistance to student pharmacists who might be eligible for receipt of such assistance. Veterans Affairs is located in 101A Burgin E. Dossett Hall (administration building) on the main campus and can be contacted at (423) 439-6819 or va@etsu.edu.

Primary entitlement programs administered by the Veterans Affairs office are:

  • Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (MGIB-AD) Educational Assistance Program [Authority: Chapter 30, Title 38 United States Code (USC)];
  • Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (VR&E) Program [Authority: Chapter 31, Title 38 USC];
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) [Authority: Chapter 1607, Title 10 USC];
  • Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) Educational Assistance Program [Authority: Chapter 1606, Title 10 USC];
  • Survivors’ & Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) Program [Authority: Chapter 35, Title 38 USC];
  • Veterans’ Work-Study Allowance Program [Authority: Chapters 30, 31, 35 of Title 38 & Chapters 1606 & 1607 of Title 10 USC];
  • Veterans’ Tuition & Fee Deferment Program [Authority: § 49-7-104 Tennessee Code Annotated (TCA)]

Information on the above federal programs, except VR&E and state programs, may be found at https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/. VR&E information can be found at www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/.

Tuition and Payment

All students attending classes at ETSU must pay tuition and fees. Students in the Doctor of Pharmacy program at the Gatton College of Pharmacy attend on a full-time degree seeking status and pay the prevailing tuition and fees as established by the College for the current academic year. Tuition is pro-rated in the rare cases where a student is enrolled as a part-time student (fewer than 12 credits).

Students who have loans, grants, scholarships, state or federal vocational rehabilitation, or any other type of financial aid covering all fees will have these funds applied to their student fees; all others should make payment through the Bursar’s Office by cash, check, or credit card.

The Bursar’s Office does not send bills to students for their tuition and fees. The best way for students to know their current financial obligation for the term is by viewing their account through GoldLink. Students who need a printed copy of their account statement may print a statement from GoldLink.

Tuition Refund Policy

Refunds for maintenance fees, tuition, and debt service fees are determined as follows.

Change of a student’s status which may permit a refund

  • Change in schedule which results in reclassification from full-time to part-time status;
  • Change in a part-time student’s schedule which results in a class load of fewer hours.

Situations which may permit a refund

  • Dropping a course or courses;
  • Withdrawing from the institution;
  • Cancellation of a class by the institution;
  • Death of the student.

Refund Procedures

The refund amount for students not receiving Title IV aid and for those students who are not first-time students receiving Title IV aid is based upon the stated policy listed below.

  • Refunds are defined as the portion of maintenance and/or tuition and university housing charges due as a rebate when a student withdraws or is expelled from the university. The amount of the refund is determined according to the schedule below.
  • For first-, second-, and third-year students, 75 percent of maintenance and other required fees will be refunded for drops or withdrawals within 14 calendar days beginning with and including the first official day of classes or within a proportioned period for short-term courses. Twenty-five percent of maintenance and other required fees will be refunded following the 14th calendar day through the expiration of one-fourth of the time covered by the term. No refund will be made thereafter. These refund procedures are also applicable to dormitory rent. For fourth-year students, refunds will be based on the portion of pharmacy practice experiences completed during each semester.
  • One hundred percent of fees will be refunded for classes canceled by the institution and for drops or withdrawals prior to the first day of classes for the regular academic terms. One hundred percent of fees will be refunded in case of student’s death.
  • Students may request a full refund in cases of medical emergency.

Return of Title IV Federal Student Aid

This requirement applies to the student ONLY if the student receives federal student aid, AND the student withdraws prior to completing 60 percent of the period for which the aid was provided.

  • The federal law requires federal aid recipients to “earn” the aid they receive by staying enrolled in college. Students who withdraw prior to completing 60 percent of the semester for which they received federal student aid may be required to return some or all of the aid they were awarded.
  • The law assumes that the student used the Title IV student aid to pay his/her institutional charges-tuition, fees, dorm room, and board; thus, if the student withdraws prior to completing 60 percent of the semester for which aid was awarded, a pro-rated amount of that aid must be returned to the federal government.
  • The university will restore to the appropriate federal fund source a proportional share of the institutional charges that the student paid. In general, the effect of the “return of Title IV aid” by the institution will be to reduce the student’s outstanding loan balance. If the amount returned by the university is not enough to repay the entire “unearned” amount of student aid according to the length of enrollment, the student will be required to return portions of the federal student aid received to pay non-institutional charges.
  • Amounts that must be returned to federal aid sources (whether by the university or by the student) will first be applied to federal loans. With respect to any amount the student owes after the university has returned its share, the student will be permitted to repay loans based on the original terms of the loan agreement. In the case of “unearned” portions of federal grants or scholarships, the student will be expected to pay 50 percent of the “unearned” portion immediately.
  • Any refund due to the student from the University for payment to cover institutional charges will first be applied to obligations to return “unearned” aid. Thus, portions of institutional refunds may be applied on the student’s behalf to outstanding Stafford or Perkins loans or to the federal portions of grants or scholarships and not actually refunded to the student. (This policy is based on 34 CFR, Section 668.22 of Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended.)

Tuition for Repeat Courses

Students failing to progress normally due to academic reasons shall pay tuition at the prevailing rate when repeating courses in order to remove an academic deficiency. Occasionally, the Academic Progression Committee (APC) may require students who have experienced academic difficulty to repeat courses previously passed if it is deemed to be in the student’s educational and professional interest. In such cases, a student shall not be charged tuition for said course(s).