Jul 14, 2020
All teacher licensure students must receive advisement from the Clemmer College professional advisor in room 321, Warf-Pickel.
Requirements for Licensure as a School Social Worker (Tennessee #488)
- Candidates for licensure must complete the requirements for a bachelor’s degree in social work at East Tennessee State University or another social work program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. Also, candidtates must complete social work field experience in an approved school setting and complete SOWK 4467 Seminar in School Social Work .
- Major courses must include the following:
- In addition to the requirements in social work, candidates must complete the following two courses in the College of Education:
- Additional Requirements
- Fulfillment of the College of Education’s Teacher Education Admissions policies:
- Candidates must contact the Office of Student Services to file a Declaration of Intent to Pursue Professional Licensure in Education and start a file. Telephone (423) 439-7626.
- Candidates must file an application to go before the board and be accepted BEFORE taking courses that require admissions to techer education and BEFORE student teaching. (This will require that a background check be completed and clearance be granted 4 weeks prior to the board application deadline of selected board interview.)
- Candidates must meet the following qualifictions before meeting with the Teacher Ecucation Admissions Board.
- Complete 30 semester hours of general education core courses as specified with a minimum of 2.75 GPA and have a minimum 2.75 overall GPA.
- If not previously licensed for public school, the student must achieve qualifying Praxis Core scores or meet policies for exemption - enhanced ACT composite of 22 or combined math/verbal on SAT of 1020.
- Field Experience
- Field experience in a school setting must be coordinated and arranged through the Director of Field Experience and Residency in the College of Education and the Director of Field Instruction in the Department of Social Work.
- Students are expected to comply with the student teaching deadlines and attend the student teaching orientation. Also, students must attend required field seminars in the Department of Social Work.
In order to be issued a Tennessee School Social Worker License, eligible ETSU candidates must file an application with the Licensure Analyst in the College of Education.
Courses on Teaching Content Area page pertain to Teaching Licensure requirements. Additional major and degree requirements may apply. For major and degree requirements, it is necessary to meet with your major advisor.
Teacher Education Entrance and Exit Requirements
- Declaration of Intent Form
- Praxis Core, ACT, or SAT minimal test scores
- 2.75 GPA in 32 General Education credits and overall (see criteria)
- Completed EDFN 2100 and 2300 with “B-” or above
- Background Check completed 4 weeks prior to submitting Teacher Education Application (This must be initiated in Warf-Pickel, 321, or it will NOT be accepted.
- CSCI 1100 or Proficiency Exam
- GPA of 3.0 in all major courses with no more than one course with a grade below “C” (2.0), including any course that has been repeated.
- Admission Board Interview
Entrance to RII
- Praxis II test scores
- Principles of Learning and Teaching
- Specialty Area(s)
- Recommendation for Licensure