Dec 10, 2018
Department of Computing
P.O. Box 70711
Phone: (423) 439-5328
Fax: (423) 439-7119
Web address: www.etsu.edu/cbat/computing/
The Computer Science concentration is designed for students who wish to apply their knowledge to the development of systems level software programs. These applications include but not limited to: real-time graphics simulations, distributed systems, and operating systems. It will also be an asset for those students who are planning for graduate work in computer science. The CS concentration supplements the computing core curriculum with courses in data structures, algorithms, computer architecture, and operating systems. The concentration also requires additional credits of mathematics and science, including the calculus sequence required of mathematics majors and one additional lab science.
Grade Requirement Policy
For satisfactory progression in the major or minor, the student must attain:
- An overall GPA of 2.5 or better; and
- A GPA of 2.5 or better in all computing courses; and
- A grade of B- or better in CSCI 1250 and CSCI 1260 .
- A grade of “C-” or better in all other major requirements. This includes both common core and concentration-specific courses and all courses from other departments that satisfy major requirements.
- A minimum grade of “C” in ENGL 1010 and ENGL 1020 .
All computing majors or minors may attempt CSCI courses a maximum of three times. An attempt is defined as registering for and remaining enrolled in a course after the third week of the semester. (Withdrawing from a course after the third week of the semester is considered an attempt.)
Computing majors and minors will be required to change their program of study if these requirements cannot be met.
All concentrations must complete 124 credits, including the ETSU General Education Requirements, the common computing core, and the concentration-specific courses.
CISC majors must pass the proficiency exam or complete CSCI 1100 - Using Information Technology prior to accumulating 30 credits.
Degree Requirements: 124 credits
|Major Total Requirements
| Major Core
|| (33 credits)
|| (36 credits)
| Major Electives
|| (9 credits)
General Education Requirements
These requirements include earning 41-42 credits in Communication, Humanities and Fine Arts, Social and Behavior Sciences, History, Natural Sciences and Mathematics categories.
Major Specific courses listed in General Education Requirements:
- MATH 1530
- COMM 2055
- 8 credits of Natural Science in a sequence excluding those for non-science majors
Total Requirements for Computing Major: 78 credits
Computing Core Requirements: 33 credits
Computer Science Concentration: 36 credits
Major Electives: 9 credits
- Three approved CSCI electives (at least one at the 3000-4000 level) for a total of 9 credits
Free Electives: 4-5 credits