Sep 25, 2022
General Program Information
Graduate School Contact:
Alondra Robbins; firstname.lastname@example.org; (423) 439-4302
Brian Johnston, Graduate Program Coordinator
ETSU/MSHA Athletic Center, Room W325
PO Box 70720
Faculty: Robert Baker; Michael Hoff; Brian Johnston; Kay M. Lennon; Leslie McCallister; Melanie Richards; Adam Sayers; Richard Sander; Michael S. White.
The Global Sport Leadership Doctoral Degree targets the development of the next generation leaders in the field of sport. Through online delivery, this cohort based program exposes students to the many challenges faced in all aspects of sport including, internal operations, external operations, research and analytics. The culminating experience in the Global Sport Leadership Program is a Doctoral Capstone Project rather than a traditional dissertation. This evaluation of student learning provides an opportunity to bring all the information gained throughout the program into one seamless document.
Applications are accepted once a year only, for entry into the fall semester. Applications are preferred to be received by June 15 for consideration.
All student, domestic and international, must meet all doctoral admissions requirements of the ETSU School of Graduate Studies as described in the graduate catalog. The following are required for admission into the Ed.D. in Global Sport Leadership:
- Submission of a completed ETSU School of Graduate Studies application for admission to the program and payment of appropriate required nonrefundable application fee (https://www.etsu.edu/gradschool/applynow.php).
- One official transcript from each undergraduate and graduate institution attended, except previous coursework taken at ETSU. Applications will not be considered without all transcripts. International applicants must submit “Official or attested university records (including proof of all degrees received), with certified translations if the records are not in English. Records must be attested by the awarding institution; notarized copies and third-party attestations are not acceptable. Individual year marksheets from Indian institutions are required; summary marksheets will not suffice.”
- A personal essay describing how this program can advance your career.
- Official scores on the general portion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- International applicants must submit certification of English proficiency. Graduate students whose native language is not English must submit a score of 79 (Internet-based), 550 (paper-based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), taken within the past two years; a score of 6.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); successful completion of the English Language Services Program at Level 112; or have received a degree from an accredited U.S. institution.
- At least three letters of recommendation (at least two of which should be from academic sources such as previous professors) and a letter of support from the current employer. These letters should be submitted through the ETSU School of Graduate Studies online system at https://gradletters.etsu.edu/
- Master’s degree in sport or related discipline with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a scale of 4.0. International applicants should consult the ETSU Graduate Catalog for more specific information on requirements for countries using different grading scales.
- At least 3 years of professional experience in collegiate, professions, or high school athletics. Exceptional applicants with less experience may be considered based on strengths of prior academic performance, the personal essay, and the letter of support from the current employer.
All materials should be submitted to the ETSU School of Graduate Studies at the following address:
School of Graduate Studies
East Tennessee State University
P.O. Box 70720
Johnson City, TN 37614-1710
All transcripts must be sent directly from the institution(s) to ETSU. All letters of recommendation, including the letter from the student’s employer, must be sent through the online letter of recommendation system (https://gradletters.etsu.edu/) of the ETSU School of Graduate Studies. For more information contact Dr. Brian Johnston, the GSLD Graduate Program Coordinator, at email@example.com (423-439-4007).
Admission to Candidacy
Students are admitted to candidacy after successful completion of thirty-nine (39) credits of coursework. This includes Research Methods for Global Sport Leaders I and II.
Global Sport Leadership, Ed.D. Degree Requirements: 60 credits
Global Sport Leadership Core Requirements: 39 credits