Oct 24, 2021
Department of Criminal Justice and Criminology
PO Box 70555
Phone (423) 439-5346
Web Address: www.etsu.edu/cas/cj
Why a student might choose a Major in Criminal Justice & Criminology:
- To gain knowledge about criminal justice and criminology, for example, the administration of justice in the United States and theories of crime and delinquency causation.
- To prepare for a career in the criminal justice field including law enforcement, probation, parole, or prisons.
Students with 0-59 earned credits:
Contact the Center for Advisement and Student Excellence (CASE) to schedule an appointment with your advisor. Visit the CASE website www.etsu.edu/cas/case/ and call (423) 439-5602.
Students with 60 or more earned credits:
Dr. Brad Edwards
Ms. Josie Klepper
Transfer students majoring in Criminal Justice should contact the Center for Advisement and Student Excellence (CASE) for advising as soon as possible. This will ensure that the student’s previous work will be coordinated efficiently with ETSU requirements.
All students must:
- Complete a minimum of 27 credits at ETSU in the Department of Criminal Justice & Criminology.
- Maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.50 in criminal justice and criminology coursework completed at ETSU.
For general information about the department or courses, contact Dr. Larry Miller at email@example.com or (423) 439-5964.
Degree Requirements: 120 credits
|Major Total Requirement
| Major Core
|| (24 credits)
| Advisor Approved Electives
|| (18 credits)
Suggested Four-Year Program of Study: CJCR-BA
GPA requirements: Must maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.5 in Criminal Justice and Criminology coursework completed at ETSU. No grade earned in a Criminal Justice and Criminology Major core course below a “C” (2.0) will be accepted.
College of Arts and Sciences : Visit link to view the complete list of B.A. degree requirements.
- Completion of a foreign language course numbered 2020 or above with a grade of C- or better. Students may be required to take courses numbered 1010, 1020 and/or 2010 based on a placement test or equivalent.
- Non-U.S. History (3 credits)
- MATH 1530 or MATH 1910
General Education Requirements
These requirements include earning 41-42 credits in Communication, Humanities and Fine Arts, Social and Behavior Sciences, History, Natural Sciences and Mathematics categories.
Total Requirements for Criminal Justice and Criminology Major: 42 credits
Criminal Justice and Criminology Core Requirements: 24 credits
Grade Requirement: No grade earned in the Criminal Justice and Criminology major core course below a “C” (2.0) will be accepted.
Advisor Approved Electives: 18 credits
Note: CJCR electives to be selected in consultation with academic advisor
Free Electives: 12-19 credits
Click here to view Degree and Graduation Requirements for all ETSU students.
CSCI 1100 or Proficiency exam: Must be completed to meet Bachelor’s Degree Requirements.
Most minors range from 18-24 credits. Those few minors with more than 24 credits may affect the number of free electives allowed.