Oct 21, 2021  
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog 
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog

Foreign Languages Major, B.A. (Japanese Concentration)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs by Type (Majors, Minors, etc.)

Department Information

Department of Literature and Language
PO Box 70683
Phone: (423) 439-4347
Web Address: www.etsu.edu/cas/litlang

The Department of Literature and Language offers courses in French, German, Japanese, and Spanish designed to give the student a working knowledge of a language in the areas of reading, writing, listening and speaking, and to help create in students an appreciation and understanding of languages and cultures other than their own. In addition to the cultural objective and personal satisfaction, the student will find that foreign language study is an aid in scientific study, business, foreign trade, travel, and international politics.

Several programs of study leading to the B.A. in foreign languages are available. The traditional major, with concentrations in  German, Japanese, or Spanish, emphasizes the liberal arts training needed in a variety of jobs. These include library or museum work, general business, and teaching. These curricula are designed to help prepare students for employment in fields where knowledge of a foreign language is of particular advantage. In addition to the General Education Core Requirements, there are degree requirements in the College of Arts and Sciences outlined in the earlier pages of this section.

Placement: Placement in the appropriate level of foreign language, for those students with prior language experience entering ETSU, will be determined pursuant to the published policy statement of the Department of Literature and Language at ETSU. The statement is available on the departmental web site as well as from university offices such as the Advisement Resources Career Center. 

Placement Policy
Department of Literature and Language

Department of Literature and Language Students with no experience in a foreign language are encouraged to register in 1010. For students with prior experience in a foreign language, please follow the guidelines below:

1) French, German or Spanish: You must take the WebCAPE Foreign Language Placement Exam, available in the Testing Center of Sherrod Library. To schedule an exam, visit www.etsu.edu/students/cfaa/testing/

2) All other languages: See the instructor of that language for placement

Note: The Foreign Language Placement Exam is for placement purposes only. Students do not receive college credit for Foreign Language courses they may place out of. In addition, students must complete a Foreign Language course at the 2020 level or higher in order to graduate with a B.A. Students pursuing a B.A. who are placed at a level higher than 2020 must still enroll in a 3000 level Foreign Language course to fulfill the requirement.


A minimum grade of C- (70%) is required in 1010, 1020, 2010, and 2020 to be able to take the next level of class in any foreign language. A student who gets any grade from D+ (69%) to F (59% and below) will have to retake that particular course in order to advance to the next level.

Laboratory Requirements: As part of the requirements for course credit for the 1000 and 2000 levels of foreign language study, students must complete online language laboratory work as assigned by instructor.

Foreign Students: International students whose native language is not English and whose admission to ETSU requires them to take a standardized test of English as a foreign language (e.g., TOEFL) may substitute scores that meet the admissions requirements for the foreign language requirement. Transfer Students-Students transferring to ETSU and wishing to receive a major or a minor in a foreign language must complete at least 12 credits of upper division courses for the major or nine credits of upper division courses for the minor at ETSU.


Students with 0-59 earned credits:

Contact the Center for Advisement and Student Excellence (CASE) to schedule an appointment with your advisor.  Visit the CASE website www.etsu.edu/cas/case/ or call (423) 439-5602.

Students with 60 or more earned credits:

Contact for a referral to a faculty advisor:

Junko Tezuka-Arnold
(423) 439-4339

Transfer and Residency Policy

Students transferring to ETSU and wishing to receive a major or a minor in a foreign language must complete at least 12 credits of upper division courses for the major or 9 credits of upper division courses for the minor at ETSU.

Transfer students should contact Center for Advisement and Student Excellence (CASE) for advising as soon as possible. This will ensure that the student’s previous work will be coordinated efficiently with ETSU requirements. For general information about the department or courses, contact Dr. Dan Westover, westover@etsu.edu, or (423) 439-4347.

Japanese Concentration: 33 credits

Japanese Concentration Pre-requirements

Degree Requirements: 120 credits

General Education 41-42 credits
Major Total Requirement 33 credits
     Core Requirements    18 credits
     Electives    15 credits
Prerequisite Requirement 0-6 credits
Minor 18-24 credits
Free Electives 15-28 credits
TOTAL 120 credits


College of Arts and Sciences  : Visit link to view the complete list of B.A. degree requirements.

  • Completion of a foreign language course numbered 2020 or above with a grade of C- or better. Students may be required to take courses numbered 1010, 1020 and/or 2010 based on a placement test or equivalent.
  • Non-U.S. History (3 credits)
  • MATH 1530   or MATH 1910  

General Education Requirements     

These requirements include earning 41-42 credits in Communication, Humanities and Fine Arts, Social and Behavior Sciences, History, Natural Sciences and Mathematics categories.

Advisor Approved Electives: 12 credits

Choose 4 courses for a total of 12 credits from the following:

Interdisciplinary Elective: 3 credits

Choose 1 course from the following:

Minor: 18-24 credits

Free Electives: 15-28 credits

Additional Information

Click here to view Degree and Graduation Requirements  for all ETSU students.

CSCI 1100  or Proficiency Exam: Must be completed to meet Bachelor’s Degree Requirements.

Most minors range from 18-24 credits. Those few minors with more than 24 credits may affect the number of free electives allowed.


Note: Students seeking state certification should work closely with both their College of Education advisor and major advisor to ensure all required courses are taken.

Licensure Certification: Students interested in pursuing a teacher licensure program for certification should contact the advisor in the Office of Student Services, 321 Warf-Pickel Hall, College of Education. Students will major in the subject they wish to teach and minor in Secondary Education. 

Students wishing to be certified in German must complete the following methods course, counted as an education requirement:

LANG 4417 - Residency I: Teaching Foreign Languages in Secondary Schools (3 credits)   

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs by Type (Majors, Minors, etc.)