Dec 08, 2023
General Program Information
Department of Literature and Language
PO Box 70683
Phone: (423) 439-4347
Web Address: www.etsu.edu/cas/litlang
Katrina Heil, Ph.D., Associate Professor
213B Gilbreath Hall
Daniel Westover, Ph.D., Department Chair
103A Burleson Hall
The Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Spanish is intended for graduate students in the health professions at ETSU. This certification program prepares health professionals to interact with Spanish-speaking patients and their families through acquisition of the necessary level of speaking and listening proficiency in Spanish, especially with terminology and grammar structures used in a healthcare setting, as well as a solid understanding of social and cultural issues related to the Hispanic population and healthcare.
Program Admission Requirements
Students must meet the Graduate School admission requirements.
Quillen College of Medicine Students may take MEDU 5009 for the Healthcare Spanish Immersion Elective. During the 3rd and 4th years in medical school, the student will complete at least 4 weeks of full-time clinical rotations in a setting where Spanish is the predominant (e.g., Morristown, Tennessee) or exclusive (e.g., USFQ rotation in Quito, Ecuador) language spoken.
Bill Gatton College of Pharmacy Students may take APPE 6507, APPE 7038, APPE 7062, or APPE 7066 during the 4th year in a setting where Spanish is the predominant or exclusive language spoken to satisfy the Healthcare Spanish Immersion Elective requirement. This could be a domestic or international experience. Specific experience and site will be determined by the BGCOP Office of Experiential Education.
Healthcare Spanish, Graduate Certificate Requirements: 12-13 credits
Required Courses: 9 credits
Healthcare Spanish Immersion Elective: 3-4 credits
Choose one of the following:
- SPAN 5377 - Language and Culture in Ecuador (3 credits)
- SPAN 5957 - Topics in Spanish (1-6 credits) (take for 3 credits)
- MEDU 5009 Global Health Elective (4 credits) (for Quillen College of Medicine students)
- APPE 6507 Community Practice II (4 credits) (for Bill Gatton College of Pharmacy students)
- APPE 7038 Global Health Initiatives (4 credits) (for Bill Gatton College of Pharmacy students)
- APPE 7062 Global Health Initiatives (4 credits) (for Bill Gatton College of Pharmacy students)
- APPE 7066 Public Health (4 credits) (for Bill Gatton College of Pharmacy students)