Sep 26, 2021
General Program Information
Brian Johnston, Graduate Program Coordinator
ETSU/MSHA Athletic Center, Room W325
PO Box 70720
Faculty: Robert Baker; Michael Hoff; Brian Johnston; Kay M. Lennon; Leslie McCallister; Melanie Richards; Adam Sayers; Richard Sander; Michael S. White.
The Global Sport Leadership Doctoral Degree targets the development of the next generation leaders in the field of sport. Through online delivery, this cohort based program exposes students to the many challenges faced in all aspects of sport including, internal operations, external operations, research and analytics. The culminating experience in the Global Sport Leadership Program is a Doctoral Capstone Project rather than a traditional dissertation. This evaluation of student learning provides an opportunity to bring all the information gained throughout the program into one seamless document.
Applications are submitted for entry into the fall semester. Applications received by April 1st receive priority consideration.
All students, domestic and international, must meet all doctoral admissions requirements of the ETSU College of Graduate and Continuing Studies as described in the graduate catalog. The following are required for admission into the Ed.D. in Global Sport Leadership:
- A personal essay describing how this program can advance your career.
- At least three letters of recommendation (at least two of which should be from previous professors or if unavailable, supervisors or peers who can attest to the applicant’s ability to complete doctoral work) and a letter of support from the current employer. These letters should be submitted through the ETSU application system.
- Master’s degree in sport or related discipline with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a scale of 4.0.
- At least 3 years of professional experience in collegiate, professions, or high school athletics. Exceptional applicants with less experience may be considered based on strengths of prior academic performance, the personal essay, and the letter of support from the current employer.
- All materials should be submitted to the ETSU School of Graduate Studies at the following address:
School of Graduate Studies
East Tennessee State University
P.O. Box 70720
Johnson City, TN 37614-1710
All transcripts must be sent directly from the institution(s) to ETSU. All letters of recommendation, including the letter form the student’s employer, must be submitted as part of the application through the ETSU College of Graduate and Continuing Studies’ application system. For more information contact Dr. Brian Johnston, the GSLD Graduate Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org (423-439-4007).
Admission to Candidacy
Students are admitted to candidacy after successful completion of thirty-nine (39) credits of coursework. This includes Research Methods for Global Sport Leaders I and II.
Global Sport Leadership, Ed.D. Degree Requirements: 60 credits
Global Sport Leadership Core Requirements: 39 credits